Friday, 30th July
The added security here at Worlds is at the same time comforting and disturbing. I like to know that someone is watching out for us, but I am upset that the world is such a place that these measures are necessary. This is the state of things, however, and I have learned that getting involved helps my quiet my mind:
1) When presenting my athlete credentials to gate security I try to squish my face, and look grainy and out of focus so my actual appearance matches my ID badge photo.
2) I bring coffee for the night gate guards at the hotel.
3) I windex the goggles for the divers who scour the race course in their scuba gear and speedos for suspicious packages.
4) I try not to get into any more fights with Spanish crack addicts. (the true story of why I´ve been nicknamed ´the saw´)
5) I always use the port-a-potties after the bomb-sniffing dog has checked them out. It´s not that I´m afraid of buying the farm, but if I do buy it on the toilet, it´s going to be Elvis style with a couple of peanut butter/banana sandwiches in each hand and arteries clogged like the the kitchen sink.