HIGH SCHOOL ROWING PROGRAM
We are currently seeking several energetic, enthusiastic, and skilled individuals to serve as Assistant Coaches for the varsity and novice teams of the Loyola Academy Rowing Association (LARA).
The Loyola Academy Rowing Association (LARA) is looking to hire several Assistant Coaches to assist its head coaches with the training and supervision of ca.  high-school rowers.
LARA is a competitive high-school sweep program. Each Assistant Coach is expected to assist in creating an exceptional training environment where every team member has a safe and positive rowing experience.
As an Assistant Coach you will be expected to (i) assist the head coaches with most day-to-day aspects of our program, equipment, and facilities, (ii) work with the other coaches to implement program direction and policies, and (iii) supervise our high-school team members. The role is year-round involving:
? Spring and Fall Competitive High School Teams (Girls Varsity and Novice Teams, and Boys Varsity and Novice Teams);
? Practice  days per week (spring and fall);
? Compete in approximately  regattas per season (spring and fall);
? Intensive spring-break training program;
? Summer ‘Learn to Row’ programs (several  week sessions); and
? Winter conditioning program, typically  days/week.
2. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Each Assistant Coach will be expected to communicate with and coordinate rowing activities with the head coaches, including inter alia:
1. assisting with the coordination and supervision of all practices;
2. keeping equipment in safe working order and reporting / repairing damage;
3. assisting student-athletes with their physical-conditioning programs (on and off the water);
4. enforcing policies and procedures to ensure safe rowing conditions and attending all coaching/safety meetings;
5. promoting the technical, physical, and mental/emotional development of our student-athletes;
6. ensuring our coxswains receive training in boat handling, coxing technique, and safe boating practices;
7. participating from time to time in LARA extracurricular events (e.g. team-bonding activities/events);
8. assisting in the safe loading, travel, and return of LARA boats and equipment to regattas;
9. assisting with home regattas and scrimmages; and
10. ensuring all applicable LARA policies, safety rules, and the Code of Conduct are followed by all team members.
3. REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
a. Experience & Education
? Have a minimum of 4 years of rowing experience; an additional 1-3 years of coaching experience is preferred but not required.
? Any licenses associated with water sports (i.e. Red Cross or YMCA lifesaving, small craft handling, water safety) are preferred.
? Candidates must satisfactorily complete a nationwide criminal background check.
? VIRTUS certifications are required (may be obtained on the job).
b. Technical Skills
? Ability to develop rowing technique and athletic conditioning in high-school athletes of varying experience and skill.
? Experience and ability to teach both sweep rowing and coxswain skills.
? Understanding of US Rowing rules.
? Knowledge of rowing equipment maintenance, rigging adjustments, and trailer loading.
? Motorboat operation skills sufficient to operate in close quarters with fragile rowing shells, transfer rowers between launch and rowing shell, and execute rescue maneuvers if necessary.
c. Soft Skills
? Must have a passion for the sport, and a desire to pass that on to others.
? Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with athletes, parents, other coaches, officials, and LARA volunteers.
? Ability to be a positive role model to all athletes.
? Appreciates the responsibility and prestige associated with being an Assistant Coach of the Loyola Academy Rowing Association.
d. Work Environment & Physical Demands
? In addition to practices, attendance at and ability to travel to local, state, and regional regattas may be required.
? Work is primarily outdoors, frequently in wet, cold, slippery conditions. Must be able to move in a constantly changing environment and frequently lift and carry heavy equipment and supplies weighing 40 pounds or more.
The position is an independent contractor position, paid at an hourly rate commensurate with experience.
5. HOW TO APPLY
In order to apply for this role, you should submit: (1) an updated resume, we recommend that this is no longer than two pages; and (2) a supporting statement explaining why you are interested in this role, detailing how you are a good candidate and how you fulfill the specifications, again we recommend that this is no longer than one page.
Email Resume and statement to LARAsecretary@gmail.com
Posted by: CARRIE LOFGREN (Evanston, IL - US)
posted November 12, 2021
viewed 98 times