Position: Head Coach – Varsity Women
Philadelphia City Rowing is a high-impact youth development organization that uses the sport of rowing to empower Philadelphia public school students to reach their highest potential on and off the water. We believe that by providing academic support, mentoring, nutrition education, and enrichment activities in conjunction with a highly structured athletic program, we can improve our participants' academic achievement, health outcomes, and personal development. We o?er three distinct programs - a competitive high school program, a recreational middle school program, and experiential summer learn-to-row camps.
For 10 years, PCR has worked to increase diversity and inclusion in the sport of rowing. We actively recruit students from the School District of Philadelphia and work to ensure that all our participants benefit from a team environment that reflects the rich racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of our city. Prior to COVID-19, we served nearly 300 students each year.
? Serve as head coach for Varsity/JV crews (16 to 35 athletes), and work productively with the other members of the coaching staff to ensure the success of the program.
? Coordinate and execute the day-to-day management of all organizational details for practices and races, including but not limited to team warm-ups, line-ups, daily practice schedules, race line-ups.
? Teach participants the fundamentals of rowing, competition, and teamwork.
? Model positive character, leadership, flexibility and patience at all times. Help create a holistic environment of safety, competition, empowerment and fun for all participants.
? Regularly and effectively communicate with participants and parents via email and phone when issues arise.
? Communicate with rowers, staff, and parents on a multitude of issues including absences, work, school, athletic progress, regatta schedules, etc.
? Conduct goal setting with participants for both rowing and personal goals.
? Retain teens that have been recruited from the Philadelphia public school system.
? Assist in recordkeeping and management of the Rowing Program’s budget by keeping careful spending records, turning all receipts into the Executive Director/Controller for approval.
? Work collaboratively with the Manager of Rowing and Academics in evaluating and monitoring academic progress and college readiness.
? Implement programs assessments and assist with surveys and evaluations as needed.
? Collaborate on the schedule of enrichment activities and assist in swimming instruction as needed.
? Assist in the management of regatta days throughout the year.
? Assist with various logistics regarding equipment and usage of the boatyard.
***Additional hours doing boat repair, maintenance, and other equipment/facilities work are also available for the right candidate (5-10 hours per week)***
• At least two years of coaching experience and three years of rowing experience.
• Prior experience working with young people from diverse backgrounds, either through youth development or youth sports programming.
• Commitment to PCR’s mission and the spirit of sports-based youth development.
• Ability to communicate effectively & assist with conflict resolution as needed.
• Experience driving a launch, coaching 8+s, and managing multiple crews at once.
• Proactive problem solver.
• Strong work ethic and self-starter who also thrives in team settings.
• Positive and upbeat attitude and willingness to learn and grow.
• Exceptional organization and time management skills.
• Practices take place Monday through Friday from 3:45 to 6:45 pm and from approximately 8 to 11 am on Saturdays.
• Some weekend work will be required for regattas and swim lessons.
• ~20 hours of work per week for coaching. Additional hours doing boat repair, maintenance, and other equipment/facilities work are also available for the right candidate (5-10 hours per week).
How to Apply:
To apply for any of these positions: Please send a copy of your resume and short cover letter detailing your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted by: Caitlin Mance (Plymouth Meeting, PA - US)
posted July 20, 2021
viewed 187 times