The 2012 schedule of the Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series, which brings together 20 previously independent events into the first year-long regatta series in the United States, launches this Sunday, March 18th with the first of five Manny Flick/Horvat Regattas for the Philadelphia Scholastic Rowing Association (PSRA).
Sunday's high school rowing event begins at 10 a.m. and continues through approximately 1 p.m.
Admission to view this Sunday's first Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series event of the 2012 season is free of charge, with viewing areas on the banks of the Schuylkill River and in the Grandstand located on Kelly Drive beneath the Columbia Railroad Bridge. Limited parking for cars is available nearby in Fairmount Park. A full schedule for the Sunday's Manny Flick Regatta is available online at http://www.boathouserow.org and also at www.phillyflicks.com.
In response to the often asked query, "What's a Manny Flick," Manuel A. Flick was the parent of several rowers who competed in crew in the 1950s at Archbishop Prendergast High School (later Monsignor Bonner) in Drexel Hill. During the 1955-1956 seasons Mr. Flick organized a round-robin series of events for the Catholic League high schools, which over time evolved into the larger PSRA. The races have been known as the "Manny Flick" regattas ever since.
According to Leslie Pfeil, the President of the PSRA, "The PSRA is the largest high school rowing association in the country, and our annual series of Manny Flick races bring in schools from Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey, and Connecticut, among other states in the region. Each week the schedule gets bigger and more rowers are involved until we get to the fifth and final Manny Flick Regatta of the season on Sunday, April 22nd."
This is the second year that the Manny Flick Regattas have been part of the Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series, and the second year in which the PRSA event "launches" the year-long regatta series, which continues through Sunday, November 11th.
With three of the largest regattas in the Mid-Atlantic region on the schedule, as well as two of the nation's oldest regattas, the Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series connects the rowing competitors of today to the historic home of the international rowing elite. It is built upon a tradition that launched November 12, 1835 with the first organized regatta on the Schuylkill (a full eight years before the start of the rowing program at Harvard). Over 175 years later, the Schuylkill River hosts more regattas annually than any other river in the nation
Last year's debut season featured over 35,000 competitors in over 7,700 boats representing not only high schools but colleges, clubs, masters and open programs from around the country.
The complete 2012 Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series schedule of 20 historic regattas:
- Sunday, March 18: Philadelphia Scholastic Rowing Assoc. Manny Flick Regatta #1
- Saturday, March 24: Murphy Cup
- Sunday, March 25: Manny Flick Regatta #2
- Sunday, April 1: Manny Flick Regatta #3
- Sunday, April 15: Manny Flick Regatta #4
- Saturday, April 21: Kerr Cup
- Sunday, April 22: Manny Flick Regatta #5
- Saturday, April 28: Catholic League Championships
- Sunday, May 6: Philadelphia Scholastic Rowing Association City Championships
- Sunday, May 13: Dr. White Regatta
- Friday, May 18 & Saturday, May 19: 86th Annual Stotesbury Cup Regatta
- Saturday, June 16: 154th Schuylkill Navy Regatta
- Friday, June 29 thru Sunday, July 1: 132nd Independence Day Regatta
- Saturday, July 14: Philadelphia Youth Regatta
- Saturday, August 4: Quaker City Masters Regatta
- Saturday, October 13: 26th Annual Navy Day Regatta
- Saturday, October 20: 4th Annual Philadelphia Children's Foundation Regatta
- Saturday, October 27 & Sunday, October 28: 42nd Annual Head of the Schuylkill Regatta
- Saturday, November 10: 9th Annual Hutchinson Cup Regatta
- Sunday, November 11: 4th Annual Philadelphia Turn & Burn Regatta
The Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series has been recognized by the Philadelphia Sports Congress as one of the "Premier Annual Events" for the city, state and region along with the Penn Relays (April); Blue Cross Broad Street Run (May); Devon Horse Show (May); TD Bank Philadelphia International Cycling Championship (June); Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon (June); ING Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon (September); the Philadelphia Marathon (November) and Army-Navy Football.
The official host hotel of the 2012 Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series is the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia Downtown. Official sponsors of the Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series include Monarch Travel Services and Spike's Trophies. Hilton Garden Inn Fort Washington and Double Tree Suites by Hilton Philadelphia West are hotel partners of the Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series.
Additional information is available at http://www.BoathouseRow.org and at http://www.pitchengine.com/philadelphiaclassicregattaseries.